This morning my boss put up an interesting article that was comletely anti-vegan. My response...GO VEGANS! He does it to get some of us who love tofu (including him) all up in a tizzy. The article was entitled, Death by Veganism, published in the New York Times 2007. Well, if that didn't catch my attention! Nina Planck who is the author of "Real Food: What to Eat and Why" goes on to say some pretty annoying things. She starts her debate by reporting the case of a 6 week old baby, weighing 3.5 lbs, who died in Atlanta because of her vegan parents. They were charged with murder, involuntary manslaughter and cruelty. The reason: The baby was feed mostly soy milk and apple juice.
While that may have been a problem it's the rest of the article that gets me. She goes on to talk about what most meat eaters talk about.... PROTEIN! " The fact remains, though, that humans prefer animal proteins and fats to cereals and tubers, because they contain all the essential amino acids needed for life in the right ratio. This is not true of plant proteins, which are inferior in quantity and quality- even soy." This was interesting to me in the light that this lady used to be a vegan. It seems like she would know about nuts, legumes and dark leafy greens and that after studies and much evidence that she would be worried about the safety issues with flesh foods, etc.
I am convinced that animal products add a dangerous element to our overall health. If a cow is sent to the slaughter with eye cancer (true story) and if chickens are raised for food in just two months than what keeps those harmful substances from entering our grocery stores? Nothing.
She also mentioned the need for Omega-3 found in fatty fish. Planck said this is absent from even breast milk. So it looks like we better be eating our flaxseed!
After reporting on all of this I must say that I don't believe that this is a salvation issue, but what I do believe is that we have a lot of knowledge that needs to be shared on these topics. Yes, Jesus ate plenty of meat in his day but I think that we have an ample amount of food options available to us today. I'm truly thankful for our health message and I know that Bible backs it up 100%. In heaven we will be eating from the trees and plants so I will keep enjoying my plants here too.
By the way, this week I planted a garden. In it you can find tomatoes, green beans, zucchini, and cucumbers. It will be fun to see how everything grows.
miércoles, mayo 23, 2007
Suscribirse a:
Comentarios de la entrada (Atom)
5 comentarios:
I have been going to the START NEW program in your brother in law's church and it has been such a blessing. This morning we saw the research showing that animal protein may be the cause of up to 90% of cancer. That is just the tip of the ice burg. Even though I have known these truths all my life I have really “held the truth in unrighteousness”. It is amazing to see the power of the truth when it is put into practice.
You mentioned the term “salvation issue”. I tend to agree but I wonder sometimes. What do you think the balance is with quotes such as this? “Every law governing the human system is to be strictly regarded; for it is as truly a law of God as is the word of Holy Writ; and every willful deviation from obedience to this law is as certainly sin as a violation of the moral law.” --Review and Herald, Oct. 18, 1881. {Te 214.1}
I am sorry the context is not specifically clear. I have posted to much already:).
That stoked the fire!:D Ignorance certainly isn't bliss when it comes to this. I'll have to admit, I like the author of the previous post, do wonder at times about the relation between diet and salvation given the information that is readily available today. I think at the least, Daniel and his friends serve as an example that demostrates the impact that diet has on a person. We are all in a race as the apostle Paul depicts. As in the case of Daniel, success or failure in various pursuites and situations could be influenced by how we care for our phyical health. And that should motivate us to learn how to properly care for the human machinery.
I'm still pro-vege! I do believe that we are held accountable for what we know and don't do or do. By the way my seeds of come up as little plants now...cucumbers, zucchini, and g. beans. Now I've decided to plant some corn inbetween the rows of beans.
YEEEHAAAAA - might I say excellent choice on adding corn! I would seriously like a tour of your plot of earth
Nice garden! Are you a seasoned gardener? Good things come in small packages. I hope it continues to grow well. Mine started good but it is getting very dry. I have realized that I want big things with little effort. God is really teaching me the importance of diligence and effort through my garden and quotes like this:
"Throughout His life on earth, Jesus was an earnest and constant worker. He expected much; therefore He attempted much."--The Desire of Ages, p. 72. {ChS 238.4}
Publicar un comentario